Sacramento DA will not file charges against 84 arrested

Anne Marie Schubert has announced all charges will be dropped

Demonstrators+march+in+the+street+while+displaying+a+homemade+%22Black+Lives+Matter%22+banner+and+a+poster+with+an+image+of+Stephon+Clark+on+Monday%2C+March+4.+Schubert+announced+Friday+that+none+of+the+84+arrested+will+be+charged.
Back to Article
Back to Article

Sacramento DA will not file charges against 84 arrested

Demonstrators march in the street while displaying a homemade

Demonstrators march in the street while displaying a homemade "Black Lives Matter" banner and a poster with an image of Stephon Clark on Monday, March 4. Schubert announced Friday that none of the 84 arrested will be charged.

Will Coburn - The State Hornet

Demonstrators march in the street while displaying a homemade "Black Lives Matter" banner and a poster with an image of Stephon Clark on Monday, March 4. Schubert announced Friday that none of the 84 arrested will be charged.

Will Coburn - The State Hornet

Will Coburn - The State Hornet

Demonstrators march in the street while displaying a homemade "Black Lives Matter" banner and a poster with an image of Stephon Clark on Monday, March 4. Schubert announced Friday that none of the 84 arrested will be charged.

Robbie Pierce

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Sacramento District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert announced Friday that there will be no charges filed against any of the 84 people arrested following Monday night’s East Sacramento protest.

The protest was held in response to Schubert’s announcement last Saturday that there would be no charges filed against Terrence Mercadal and Jared Robinet, the two police officers that killed Stephon Clark last year.

Those arrested included members of the clergy and media, as well as Sacramento State students, including The State Hornet news co-editor Will Coburn.

RELATED: TESTIMONIAL: I was arrested while reporting on a peaceful protest

Sacramento Mayor Darrell Steinberg released a statement Friday in response to the DA’s decision.

“Regarding the DA’s announcement today, I appreciate her decision not to file charges against Monday night’s peaceful protesters,” Steinberg said in a tweet. “It was the right thing to do.”

RELATED: Stephon Clark protest in East Sac ends with 84 arrests

Sacramento Police Department also issued an in-response press release Friday, attaching pictures of cars it claims were damaged by protesters.

Also attached was a still from helicopter camera footage showing a protester Sac PD says “was observed walking and holding an unknown object that was on fire.”


“In the interest of community safety, protection of property and after multiple requests to disperse were made, officers proceeded with an orderly arrest process,” the release says.

“Throughout the course of the protest, 84 people were arrested for unlawful assembly. Of those 84 people, one person was arrested for unlawful assembly and for being in possession of a prohibited weapon.”

According to the press release, Sac PD is still conducting follow-up investigations regarding the protest and urged those with information or those with damaged property to contact the department at (916) 808-5471.

 

 

 

Print Friendly, PDF & Email