Sac State men’s soccer winning streak extends to three games

89th-minute goal secures Hornets the 1-0 win against Utah Tech


Photo Courtesy of Utah Tech Athletics

Freshman defender Justin Faison and sophomore middle fielder Ali Sasankhan are defending against a Utah Tech forward Friday, Sept. 16 at Greater Zion Stadium. Sac State has matched their five-win total from 2021 seven games into this season with the 1-0 win against the Trailblazers.

Hugo Quintanilla

With a slow start to the match — and not having many chances on offense — the Sac State men’s soccer team took a 1-0 win over the Utah Tech Trailblazers after a late diving header goal from junior defender Jaime Robles. 

The Hornets traveled to St. George to play Utah Tech in a non-conference match. 

Friday’s win extended the Hornets winning streak to three games. 

RELATED: Sac State men’s soccer extends their winning streak, win 3-2 over Gonzaga 

It was a tough game– very different environment playing on turf and with different balls,” Robles said. “It was a good outcome; I’m glad we got the goal.” 

The Hornets struggled early, starting the first half at a slow pace. They took only four shots on goal – two of them being on target but not being able to score. Most of the game was played in the midfield.

The Trailblazers were on defense and had a compact midfield, slowing the match down by being composed in the midfield. 

Utah tech didn’t allow the Hornets much space to make plays by not allowing the Hornets space until the last minutes of the game.

“We got out-worked in the first half,” head coach Michael Linenberger said. “Utah Tech worked really hard, had spirit and passion, making things difficult.” 

The Hornets came into the second half with more spirit, maintaining pressure on offense through the wings as the Trailblazers were lined up defensively. 

Sac State had eight shots and four on-goal in the second half, with one of those shots being the header goal that gave them the lead. 

“Obviously you always feel good after a win,” Linenberger said. ”We’re happy the results went our way. We left it to the very end. We didn’t play our best, but [playing in a different environment is] difficult circumstances and we found a way.”   

The Hornets ended the match with a total of 12 shots — half of them being on goal — out-shooting the Trailblazers by seven shots.  

The 1-0 win over the Trailblazers allowed the Hornets to secure their first shutout this season. 

“It was definitely a different game,” junior forward Austin Wehner said. “Something that we haven’t experienced throughout this season.” 

The Hornets moved to 5-1-1. They will face the University of Nevada, Las Vegas on Sunday, Sept. 18 at 6 p.m. in Las Vegas, NV.