Rock-throwing suspects make $150,000 bail
February 6, 2007
Two former Sacramento State football players accused of throwing rocks at oncoming cars were each released on $150,000 bail on Nov. 29.
Brendon “Bo” DeLapp, 19, and Westy Guill, 18, face 14 felony counts and four misdemeanors after a Nov. 9 incident on Highway 16 that left one man, Parish Compton, with serious injuries to his head and face.
Amador County District Attorney Todd Riebe said that the defendant’s attorney had asked for a bail reduction but was denied during a hearing.
According to Riebe, two things are considered at a bail reduction hearing: Public safety and whether the defendants are a flight risk.
The judge denied the bail reduction out of concern for public safety based on the seriousness of the offense and the injuries that occurred to the victim, Riebe said.
DeLapp and Guill admitted to throwing up to 25 rocks from their car at oncoming traffic on the highway, Riebe said.
“If they had so much remorse, the time to show it would have been after Compton’s car crashed,” Riebe said. “They didn’t go back and assist the victim or call 911; in fact, they continued to throw rocks.”
Riebe said the judge was not concerned with the men being a flight risk since they turned themselves in on Nov. 28 after the warrant for their arrest was issued. They are due back in court on Jan. 5.
“I can’t get into individual facts that weren’t already released at the bail reduction hearing and the arraignment,” Riebe said.
Riebe said that the rock that hit Compton’s car did the most significant damage.Compton’s jaw was shattered and his larynx was crushed, requiring two surgeries so far to enable Compton to breathe again. He also lost his front bottom teeth.
DeLapp admitted to using both hands to throw the rock that shattered Compton’s windshield.Riebe said Guill stated that he knew there must have been some considerable damage when Compton’s car drove 40 feet off the road and into a fence.
DeLapp and Guill continued to throw rocks at cars and caused at least six other acts of vandalism after Compton’s car crashed.
“We’re taking a look at additional charges based on developing evidence,” Riebe said.Riebe said there is no evidence of the men being intoxicated during the incidents at this point.
“They had a gaming card, so I presume that were probably gambling at the casino,” Riebe said.So far, Sac State has not decided to take any action. Lori Varlotta, vice president of Student Affairs, said that she couldn’t comment on any individual student’s judicial file.
“We’re looking into it. It looks like these boys will be through the criminal process,” Varlotta said. “In situations like these, we work with the right colleagues on campus to determine if we will put the case through the judicial process as well.”
Elizabeth Wilson can be reached at [email protected]